Monday, November 22, 2010

Fairy (tale) cake

London is now home sweet home. Literally. Jessica has found an amazing cupcake place in our neighbourhood, and now our lives are complete. Oh, did I mention that Jessica and Joe are going to be living one mile from me??? Yup, we're neighbours :)

Hello, Hummingbird Bakery. You are sweet, pretty, and whimsically tasty. You make me feel like I'm in America.

Cupcakes are allegedly "so American" here just like Christmas and Halloween, but I've noticed that they are taking storm here quickly as they did in the US. British people even call cupcakes "fairy cakes" because they are supposed to be for children. Well, hummingbird bakery is no child's play.

We are so happy. In London they charge you extra money to eat in the restaurants. No joke. Here is was an extra 35 pence to eat our cupcakes indoors. We got them to go, mainly because there was no seating left inside! However, we were at a restaurant earlier that charged 3.5GBP to takeout the food and 8GBP to eat in. And, last weekend I got a salad at Starbucks and they charged me an extra 40 pence just to hand me a plastic fork so that I could eat it there!

Okay, but in all seriousness....these cupcakes are amazing and they are right by the tube station I take to work (South Kensington tube station). I will be taking many people here!

MMMmmmmmmm

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous you went to Hummingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! Can't wait to go back again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes look fantastic! I want one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're funny. and the reason is, you're starting to SPELL like a Brit..."neighbourhood". LOL!

    ReplyDelete