Friday, October 1, 2010

You Are Approved!!

Good news, kids!! I am approved to enter the United Kingdom for two years!!!!! Very exciting day :)














Did you know that "visa" means entry clearance? Maybe I'm juvenile, but I did not. I don't physically have my visa yet, but it is en route to my casa from the Los Angeles British Consulate.
The visa really drives everything including my permission to book my flight to MOVE to the UK, my ability to open my bank account and credit cards, and my ability to earn a paycheck in GBP. Considering I was aiming to move to the UK by next week, you can see why I have been anxious these past few weeks to get the visa. This is the most valuable document I will own over the next two years. Without it, I have no validity in the United Kingdom.

I feel so fortunate to have a company to sponsor me to go to the UK, it definitely makes the process much easier. I was able to apply for Priority Service to get my visa in time. Priority Service is a $150 fee that basically gives you a pass to the front of the line. If there is one piece of advice I can offer to those trying to get a visa abroad, it is to read all the directions!! Just because you pay the $150 fee does not mean that the entry clearance officers are going to automatically know to put your application at the top of the pile. You also have to write "PRIORITY SERVICE" all over your envelope and include your receipt of payment lol. Also, there are so many specific instructions for visas, it is really important to check things multiple times! Visas under the Priority Service are supposed to be processed in 48 hours, although that is not a guarantee and it's also not a guarantee that your visa application will be approved. One little quirk that I had was that I actually didn't get my confirmation email of receipt from the British Consulate until 48 hours after my application had arrived at their offices......almost too coincidental. In the end though, my visa was approved within 4 business days.

One thing I really liked about the British Consulate is that they email you confirmation that they have received your visa application and another confirmation that they have approved or denied your visa with a UPS tracking number to follow so you know when you'll get your passport back. I was very appreciative of this because when you submit your passport for renewal, it basically goes into a blackhole and you have no idea when exactly you will get your passport back. Nerve racking a little?? As an accountant...I need status updates or I'll go insane! However, I will say I must give props to the US Passport renewal center because it is actually one of the most efficiently run government organizations....my passport was renewed quite quickly!

Anyway, to those who are not in the market for a visa, this whole post has probably been a snooze fest. But, during my time going through this I wish I had some real life testimonies to how the whole process worked. I don't know about you, but letting my passport out of my sight is nerve wracking!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Finally! Nothing like getting it at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete