Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jamie Oliver Food Revolution? We Texans Bring It

Hi lovely Texans. In case you were worried about me finding anything edible in this country, never fear, here is proof that I'm getting by just fine:

Helllooooo Cantina Laredo London! Ironically located just next door to one of Jamie Oliver's restaurants. Texas is bringing a Food Revolution to his country!

I have to admit it's not true TexMex. It's a little too healthy to be perfection, but for being 4,500 miles away from the real thing it will do. The tortillas aren't quite right (definitely taste like they are from a package of Mission tortillas), there isn't enough cheese in the tacos, the rice is bland, and there are no refried beans. But it is still the closest substitute I'm going to get on this side of the world. The chips and salsa there are pretty rocking at least. I love how the waiters always say "these are complimentary for you" when they bring the chips and salsa. Sigh. Little do they know that chips and salsa are a given right in Texas! Oh these Europeans.

Another great thing about Cantina Laredo is that it is so American when you walk in. The restaurant is humongous for London standards and there are oversized booths everywhere. You can also hear American accents all over the place!

There is one thing the Brits have gotten right to complete perfection (why am I not surprised..):
The margarita!! This one is my favourite margarita- it's called the purist margarita. Heavy on the tequilla, splash of lime juice, and a kick of TexMexican soul.

I have been to this haunt several probably 4 times in the last month. I love it after a hard day at work, it reminds me of home! I will say it comes at a steep price (£8.95 per margarita, even a house marg). Then again, everything in this city is expensive and this is definitely worth its weight in quid (another term they use for their currency).

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad that you have found a tex-mex substitute!

    ReplyDelete